Green coffee cleaners

Share |

Postby andibean » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 am

Anyone have ideas on when the use of a green coffee cleaner (prior to roasting) makes sense?
andibean

First Name: Andi
Last Name: Trindle Mersch
City: San Francisco
State: CA
Zip Code: 94112
Company: Philz Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 1994

Postby chris7wade » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 am

Hello Andi, I had talked to you about this but thought it would be good to post this on here too.

Green cleaners can be really useful for large volume roasters to reduce the amount of dust on the green coffee. This will reduce the amount of cleaning needed on the roasting side. Green cleaners will also remove chips and small debris from the green coffee. The green cleaner I have used had screens that were interchangeable so we could control how much passed through the system or got filtered off as small particles.

The green cleaners can also be used to pick up things like nails or rocks. Typically this can be done after roasting by use of magnets and a de stoner.
chris7wade

First Name: Christian
Last Name: Wade
City: Portland
State: OR
Zip Code: 97213
Company: Coffee bean International
Roasting Since (Year): 1999

Postby andibean » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:40 am

thank you, Chris. Somehow I didn't get a notice when this came in (I'll check my settings) so sorry for the delay. Thanks for all of the great information you been giving me over recent weeks, and I think it's great to post here, so others can access your experience. Lucky for us all.
andibean

First Name: Andi
Last Name: Trindle Mersch
City: San Francisco
Zip Code: 94112
Company: Philz Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 1994

Postby stevel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Andi,

I have seemed to notice an increase in foreign material that could be separated out by a green cleaner when the market is higher, meaning there's a lack of real coffee to fill the bags so a lot of other stuff ends up in the bags.

On the other hand, given the nature of the product there's always some foreign material that should be separated out, if for not other reason than to protect the rest of the equipment downstream.

Hope this helps.

Steve
stevel

First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leach
City: San Ramon
Zip Code: 94583
Company: SW Company
Roasting Since (Year): 1978
Twitter: steve_cfy

Return to “%s” Equipment / Materials