Send your Roast Log, earn Education Credit

Share |

Postby Ellie Matuszak » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Experienced Roasters: Be sure to document your earned education credit by submitting your Roast Log. There are so many of you who have met the requirements for RP191 or RP291 (or both) but do not have the credits in your profile simply because the documentation has not been submitted!

The Roast Log requirement is for 100 hours of documented commercial roasting in order to earn RP191 (Required for Level 1) and RP291 (Level 2). 200+ hours may be submitted at once for concurrent awarding of both the RP191 & RP291 credits. Roast Logs can be submitted here https://specialtycoffee.wufoo.com/forms/rg-certification-roast-log-submission-form/ and are reviewed by the RG Certification Panel (RGCP). Upon review the RGCP may require an interview in order to complete credit requirements for RP191 and/or RP291. Roasters will be notified of status within 30 days of submitting the Roast Log.

There is no single required format, though Roast Logs should include
-Roast time of each individual roast
-Final weight of each individual load
-Machine make & model or other equipment information
The RG Roast Log template may be downloaded (complimentary to RG Members) in the SCAA online store here: http://bit.ly/roastlog

For those with physical documentation/hard copies, please email Ildi Revi, SCAA Education Manager, for instructions on how to submit. No need to spend another 100 hours at the scanner! Ildi can be reached at ildi at scaa dot org. Good luck!
Ellie Matuszak

First Name: Ellie
Last Name: Matuszak
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60622
Company: SCAA

Postby Ellie Matuszak » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 am

It is a great idea to send this in now in order to have your credits for the Roast Log (RP191 and/or RP291) processed prior to the SCAA Expo! There are about 200 people in the RG community who are 2-3 credits away from Level 1 and about 60 of you that are just as close to completing the Level 2 requirements. Especially for those of you who have taught- you can always request credits that are missing from your profile (login at SCAA.org, click on My Pro Dev, you do NOT need you member number just your email address) and we can cross reference and add them anytime. I would be so happy to see 20 or so new Certified Roasters following SCAA Expo 2013!
Ellie Matuszak

First Name: Ellie
Last Name: Matuszak
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60622
Company: SCAA

Postby jimfarris » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 am

Ms. Matuszak,
I am a new roaster and new member of the RG. I have registered for the 2013 Retreat and plan to pursue certification. It looks like it will take two to three years to complete level 1. Because I roast small batches, 3-4 lbs, and work two days a week, logging 100 hours of roast time will take approximately 60 sheets of the RG Roast log and 16-20 weeks. Would you recommend using the two-sheet roast log that will capture the hours and weights of each 20 batches roasted or use multiple sheet one's and just have one sheet two with the total on it?
Is it better to submit multiple roast hour inputs for credit or wait until you have 100 hours?
Thanks in advance,
Jim Farris
http://www.seedscoffee.com/
jimfarris

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Farris
City: Montevallo
State: AL
Zip Code: 35115
Company: Seeds Coffee Co
Roasting Since (Year): 2012

Postby chris7wade » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Hello Jim, I can see what you are talking about. What I can suggest is to complete the 100 hours and collect the data that you need. You can enter it all into the RG online roast log.

Part of the 100 hours is to allow someone to have a lot of time on the roaster and to develop their skills as they go through the program. Having a shorter roasting schedule can make this take a while longer but as you track your information it can be a really helpful tool to see your profile differences. Coffee changes over the seasons and with age so that could be pretty interesting.

Let us know if you have any other questions we would be glad to help out.

Chris Wade.
chris7wade

First Name: Christian
Last Name: Wade
City: Portland
State: OR
Zip Code: 97213
Company: Coffee bean International
Roasting Since (Year): 1999

Postby jimfarris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks Chris,
I was unaware of an online log. I'll look for that and look and listen at the retreat for more useful information.
Jim Farris
jimfarris

Postby Phil.Johnson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08 am

jimfarris wrote:Thanks Chris,
I was unaware of an online log. I'll look for that and look and listen at the retreat for more useful information.
Jim Farris

Hi Jim,

The "on-line" log is the roasters guild roasting log excel spreadsheet that you mentioned in your original post. I think the term "on-line" was meant to be used interchangeably with "digital".

It took me about a year to accumulate my initial 100 hours and then I submitted it when I had the full 100. The online submission form expects you to have the 100 hours when you submit and there is no database that will accrue your hours.

I did all my logs by hand and handed in copies and then filled out the submission form versus poking it all into the spreadsheet.

If you have access to a sample roaster, you can really bump up your roasting hours considerably while you're doing your purchase evaluations or simply doing quality control. You can even "double dip" on the times if you have a two barrel roaster since you are roasting two distinct batches of coffee.

If you attend the retreat, make sure you bring a blank log with you to capture all the hours you spend in front of the roaster. Every little bit helps.
Phil.Johnson

First Name: Phil
Last Name: Johnson
City: Sheldonville
State: MA
Zip Code: 02070
Company: Sheldonville Roasters
Roasting Since (Year): 2003

Postby jimfarris » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks Phil,
That was pretty much what I expected. I considered scanning the roast logs into a .pdf file, but even at a low resolution, 60 pages would be a big file. I am logging by hand and will just continue to do so. Also, it will take me close to a year to log 100hrs, good idea about logging any time at the Retreat.
Thanks for the help,
Jim Farris
jimfarris

Return to “%s” Certification, Educational Courses & Workshops