Review Materials Prior to RG Cert Test Out for SCAA 2012

Share |

Postby Phil.Johnson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 am

I was wondering if there are any materials that I could review prior to testing out for the Apprentice Certification at the SCAA 2012 event.

In particular, I'm looking for materials for:

RP202 Intro to Craft Roasting

RP104 Decaffeination

RP208 Roaster Plant Safety

and

RP110 Basic Roasting Equipment and Operation

Are there any materials available via here or SCAA that would help me prepare?

Thanks!
Phil.Johnson

First Name: Phil
Last Name: Johnson
City: Sheldonville
State: MA
Zip Code: 02070
Company: Sheldonville Roasters
Roasting Since (Year): 2003

Postby Ellie Matuszak » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your interest in the Certification program! The Test-Out is a great way to get started on the accelerated track for Level 1 Certification (formerly "Apprentice.") that is available to experienced Roasters. Complete requirements for the Accelerated Track are available here:

Roasters Guild Certification Program Levels Explained, including Level 1 Accelerated Option for Experienced Roasters: http://roastersguild.org/?p=certification&sub=certLvl

SCAA & RG members may download the most recent Skill Building Workshop presentations from the SCAA Online Library <http://scaa.org/?page=library]]> . To access the presentations, enter the search term “SCAA Exposition 2011” (use 2010 for RP208 and RP104) and scroll to find the presentation for your course(s). Then, click on the link under “Holdings” and when you see the file, “Click to open“ to download the file.
Specific record:
Once you located the record, please click the link that reads “SCAA - No Collection” after Holdings. Once you click this link there will be a page with the link to download the presentation. If you get stuck, please let me know. (I don't know why it's so complicated- something having to do with it needing to have archival functionality?)

The powerpoint presentations are the ones that are used in the course. Please note that RP104 is undergoing revision and will be presented in Portland, so the presentation from 2010 may have limited value.

I can also email you the study guide that lists all course objectives (Ie, what can a student do as a result of completing a course) for these courses. If you read the guide and think "hey, I can do that!" you are most likely prepared for the test. If you think to yourself "Gee, I do not know how to do that" you might find that test challenging.

Please note that RP112 (formerly RP202), GE151, and RP208 have higher pass rates than do RP110 and RP104. Experienced Roasters tend to have the most trouble with RP104. RP110 includes a great deal of history of roasting equipment as well as how equipment is operated.

Please email me to get the study guide and I will also see about posting it online. Thanks!
Ellie Matuszak

First Name: Ellie
Last Name: Matuszak
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60622
Company: SCAA

Postby Phil.Johnson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks Ellie! This is great! I PM'd you with a reply on where to send materials but I'll be sure to try to pull what I can from the SCAA website.

Thanks!
Phil.Johnson

Postby Ellie Matuszak » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am

Update: The study guide for the Level 1 Test Out is now available for download on the RG Website (or here http://roastersguild.org/PDF/rg_acceler ... ctives.pdf )

This link lives on the Certification page of the RG Website: http://roastersguild.org/?p=certification&sub=certLvl
Ellie Matuszak

Postby godsonlydove » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi,
I was glad to see that this discussion strand had been started by someone else! I was able to find most of the resources, but am having trouble locating the RP208 - roasting plant operation/safety information. I searched the library several different ways... no luck. Anyone have an alternate, or know where this information is available. I'm guessing from the other presentations that there is some specific info. that they will want us to know.
Thanks for any help.
sg
godsonlydove

First Name: Shawna
Last Name: Gunnarson
City: Kealakekua
State: HI
Zip Code: 96750
Company: Kona Rising Coffee Co.
Roasting Since (Year): 2010

Postby Phil.Johnson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 pm

but am having trouble locating the RP208 - roasting plant operation/safety information

I feel your pain. Not all of the handouts for the classes are in that database. There are a number of power point decks for decaffeination but none that are specifically for the class. Likewise for roast profiling and for plant safety.

The search engine is actually pretty good so I'm assuming that the information for the specific classes are simply not in there.

I did find two presentations regarding roaster maintenance which I'm pouring over in hopes that it will address the plant safety class topics.
Phil.Johnson

Postby Ellie Matuszak » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 am

Hi all,

RP208 has not been presented in a few years so it is possible that the ppt is just not there. I apologize.

We are in the process of uploading/updating the 2012 presentations but it is a massive undertaking as there are 35 courses. I will try to prioritize the courses for RG test-out, but of course most of them are still undergoing revision.

Stand by...
Ellie Matuszak

Postby Phil.Johnson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:09 am

Ellie Matuszak wrote:Hi all,

RP208 has not been presented in a few years so it is possible that the ppt is just not there. I apologize.
(snip)
Stand by...

Thanks Ellie! Much appreciated!

I've been trying to "read around" the subject matter in the articles and hand outs that are somewhat related to the roaster plant safety and the decaf courses. I imagine reading those and exercising some common sense may help me test out on those.

Thanks again!
Phil.Johnson

Return to “%s” Certification, Educational Courses & Workshops