Congratulations to our first certified roasters

Share |

Postby timd » Tue May 03, 2011 10:28 am

Congratulations to Chris Wade and Beth Dominick who were named at the annual Roasters Guild meeting. Also, to Mick who only had one test to past to achieve his certification (had to board a plane to Australia before it was graded) This has been a long time coming and is the first step towards realizing the vision of guys like Mike Ebert, Paul Thorton, Don Schoneholdt, Shawn Hamilton, Peter Guiliano and the rest of the founders.

From what I gather there is a fairly small window of time for more advanced roasters to test out of the apprentice level and receive their first certification. 2013 is the year I have in my head, perhaps someone else could elaborate on the process?

Also, I spoke to a couple seasoned veterans who took the tests and were surprised by the level of detail and difficulty. It might be wise to study up or run the risk of leaving a few too many points on the table.
Tim Dominick
timd

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Dominick
City: Moonstone Beach
State: CA
Zip Code: 95570
Company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2000

Postby chris7wade » Tue May 03, 2011 2:49 pm

It feels really good to have this part of the program completed. I know that there are quite a few people who have also put in a lot of time with the Roasters Guild and it's education programs. If anyone has not already look at your professional development under your SCAA profile. It is always good to check and see if all credits have been applied to classes you have taken in the past.

Also as a note volunteer time is a part of getting this certification. As a station lead you will get credit for classes as well as finishing off some of the time requirements. I find that being a station instructor has been really rewarding. I learn a lot by explaining things to others.

Lets get more of you all certified.

Chris
chris7wade

First Name: Christian
Last Name: Wade
City: Portland
State: OR
Zip Code: 97213
Company: Coffee bean International
Roasting Since (Year): 1999

Postby instaurator » Thu May 05, 2011 1:36 am

Mick Kiely has now received email confirmation that he too has passed and can now call himself a certified coffee roaster.

A constructive suggestion: can we get the pin to say in future: "Certified Coffee Roaster" instead of "Apprentice Level Certified". It seems a little underwhelming to say I am now a certified roaster but to wear a pin saying in effect I'm a certified apprentice. It would definitely be better for self-esteem and cachet.

Apart from that well done for finally getting across the finishing line to all concerned.
instaurator

First Name: X
Last Name: Instaurator
City: Sydney
State: NSW
Zip Code: 2251
Company: Espressology
Roasting Since (Year): 1981

Return to “%s” Certification, Educational Courses & Workshops