second crack

Share |

Postby stow roaster » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi
I never roast to second crack but IM interested to know where it is and when its needed.
Currently first crack for me is around 205 c (400f) can anyone estimate when I should be around second crack?
How should I adjust the roast profile for example, when roasting into second crack should I go relatively fast through first crack in order to reach it or should I continue to roast as if I were going to drop around first crack and slow down through first crack? Do I need to increase heat after first crack or will the beans be so fragile that the will get there anyway without any increase in temp?

Does anyone have any particular experience of types of beans that might suit going to or into second crack?

Thanks
stow roaster

First Name: lottie
Last Name: poulton
City: London
State: London
Zip Code: E173RA
Roasting Since (Year): 2014

Postby ddelapaz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello Lottie,

I have to admit I'm kinda jealous of your lack of dark roasting experience! At the roastery were I roast coffee we probably do 2/3's of our roasted coffee pounds as dark roast. I'm probably upkeeping between 7-10 uniquely different dark roast profiles. Dark roast coffee with cream and sugar is kinda of a American midwest thing. So even though your roasting most of the origin and nuisance out of the coffee at a dark level I still enjoy and care very much for our dark roast profiles and coffee's. I'm no Expert in Dark Roasting or Roasting but I've been roasting for almost 11 years and I'm continually wanting to improve my craft.

All that being said I think your questions are all spot on! I have a dark roast profile that: goes relatively fast through first crack in order to reach it, roasts as if I were going to drop around first crack and slow down through first crack, that I increase heat after first crack, and I have one that can ride it into 2nd without additional heat. We also use around 7 different green coffee's from central and south america, africa, and indonesia in our dark roasts.

For me the most important part of the plan is what you want in the cup. If all things are equal. Then from there I feel like you can go from intended goal backwards to build the way to get there. But that is my method and i imagine it wouldn't work for everyone.

I'm more than happy to help/share or do whatever might help you in this process. I'd prefer to communicate with email. If your interested my email is- derek@peacecoffee.com. Just send me an email and I can answer whatever you ask to the best of my ability. And I'd love to ask you a few questions about your roasting!

Cheers to kick ass roast profile! Even the dark ones:-)
Derek DeLaPaz
ddelapaz

First Name: Derek
Last Name: DeLaPaz
City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Zip Code: 55408
Company: Peace Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2006

Return to “%s” Profiles & Heat Transfer