Automation roast profile variance

Share |

Postby ddelapaz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Hello RG forum users;-)

I had a question and I wanted to hear all your opinions on it!

My question has to do with roasting. Specifically profile roasting, but in the context of using some type of roasting automation to replicate your profile on your coffee roasting machine. If your a roaster and you don't ever roast with automation you can still give your input based on what you would expect from manually replicating profiles.

Ok so my Question is...If you create a coffee roasting profile on your machine(in manual), and then use your automation program to consistently replicate this profile. What would be an acceptable amount of variance that you would allow your automation to add to your profile?

Some parameters for discussion: turn temp, rate of rise, time, temperature, first crack time and temp, roast color, or any parameters that you use.

Thanks for reading! And may all your roasts run well and your machine operate flawlessly.
Derek DeLaPaz
ddelapaz

First Name: Derek
Last Name: DeLaPaz
City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Zip Code: 55408
Company: Peace Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2006

Postby N3Roaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:37 pm

These sorts of systems generally work best when maintaining strict control over initial conditions. If you do that, then whatever variance is introduced for that profile should at least be consistent and you can make a call on acceptability by tasting the results. This means extensive pre-heating, standardized batch sizes, staying current on maintenance, &c. Generally, if things are matching up well out of the turn around, great. If not, a good roaster will probably match closer switching over to manual control. There's a lot of room for improvement in this technology that could give back some versatility, but the companies best able to fund that work don't need it.
Neal
N3Roaster

First Name: Neal
Last Name: Wilson
City: Racine
State: WI
Zip Code: 53405
Company: Wilson's Coffee & Tea
Roasting Since (Year): 2000
Twitter: N3Roaster
YouTube: N3Roaster

Postby ddelapaz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 am

Neal,
Thanks for the reply! I agree with everything you said. Automation is a tricky partner in coffee roasting. It is still very imperfect, but if we don't use it and try to improve it, maybe it never gets better? We use automation for some of our roasts on our bigger machine. I have been trying to organize the data on effect on cup from automation roast variance.

What I have noticed is that below a 2 degree variance in profile, the cup variance is very limited. Between 2-4 degree's of variance the cup has noticeable character changes. Above 4 degree's variance the cup is a different style cup. This data is all in Fahrenheit, generally across the whole profile, and data is an average of many roast on multiple profiles. Also this is very basic data. Just hoping to get some conversations going?

We don't use cropster:-(! But I imagine cropster users have some sort of roast variance acceptability parameters built into the re cropster system? Based on comparing roasting to cupping scores?

Hopefully I'm making sense. Thanks for reading.
Derek
ddelapaz

First Name: Derek
Last Name: DeLaPaz
City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Zip Code: 55408
Company: Peace Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2006

Postby N3Roaster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 pm

I don't use Cropster either. I wrote Typica, which is free. What I've been doing there is looking at this sort of sideways from what it sounds like you're doing, measuring time within significant temperature ranges rather than temperatures at specific times (I touch on this in my latest video but I need to do another one to go deeper into that), but if you have any specific requirements that would make the kind of analysis you're trying to do easier, I'd be interested in having a conversation about it as that sort of thing is well aligned with the feature set that I'm looking at for the 2.0 release.
Neal
N3Roaster

First Name: Neal
Last Name: Wilson
City: Racine
State: WI
Zip Code: 53405
Company: Wilson's Coffee & Tea
Roasting Since (Year): 2000
Twitter: N3Roaster
YouTube: N3Roaster

Return to “%s” Profiles & Heat Transfer