Let's talk about Profiles

Share |

Postby coffeejoes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Hello Neil,
Just watched your video's. Nice job on both. I think go a long way to instruct roasters. It may be a project the guild and SCAA should attempt to put out. Also I see you have a SR1 roaster. I have a Hr1 from Diedrich. What's the difference between the two?
Tim
coffeejoes

First Name: Timothy
Last Name: Pellizzer
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Zip Code: 55364
Company: Sebastian Joe's
Roasting Since (Year): 2007

Postby N3Roaster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm

I believe the main difference between the SR1 and the HR1 is that the HR1 has a nicer switch for the heat control. The switch on the SR1 is hard to turn and has some ridges on it that can wear on your fingers if you have a lot of sample roasting to do in one day and always hold it the same way to make adjustments. I believe both models are currently discontinued.

As for the instructional side, I know that RG/SCAA has been working on some good classes covering things like this in greater depth. I'll be helping out in April with the RP120 profile roasting course and there are people thinking about courses covering more advanced practical roasting topics as well.
Neal
N3Roaster

First Name: Neal
Last Name: Wilson
City: Racine
State: WI
Zip Code: 53405
Company: Wilson's Coffee & Tea
Roasting Since (Year): 2000
Twitter: N3Roaster
YouTube: N3Roaster

Postby shawn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks Neal for sharing the process via video. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I came online today because I had a similar question on the best way to snag samples for a creating a roast profile on an IR-3 & after reading this thread, I'm realizing that I'm probably going to have to probably use 4-lb load in order to snag enough beans in the trier every 10 seconds so i could get a good sample pull. Up until now I've been sampling out 1lb @ a time, on three separate roasts, to determine where the best spot would be for us to use as our profile.
shawn

First Name: Shawn
Last Name: Pritchett
City: Newbury Park
State: CA
Zip Code: 91320
Company: Ragamuffin Coffee Roasting Company
Roasting Since (Year): 2010

Return to “%s” Profiles & Heat Transfer