Making Consistency Easier

Share |

Postby N3Roaster » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 am

When learning how to roast coffee, we frequently stress the importance of keeping good records and observing the results. It's a good practice, but it's easy to get into a rut where the process is dominated by the repetetive mechanics of creating the records rather than being fully engaged with what's really going on in the roaster. One of the things that I like about having a computer connected to the coffee roaster is that I can automate the mindlessly repetetive aspects of roasting, making it easier to pay attention to the coffee.

I've recently put together a video showing how a couple of features, most notably plotting rate of temperature change (or rate of rise), make it easier to roast coffee consistently. While the last bit of the video is specific to the software that I've written, most of it should apply equally well to other programs that have this feature. It also shows the roast profile that I use for the darker of the two roasts I currently use for my coffee from Costa Rica and has a small amount of talk about that.
Neal
N3Roaster

First Name: Neal
Last Name: Wilson
City: Racine
State: WI
Zip Code: 53405
Company: Wilson's Coffee & Tea
Roasting Since (Year): 2000
Twitter: N3Roaster
YouTube: N3Roaster

Postby ChrisSchooley » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 am

Neal! This is great, and a great point about the importance of recording and keeping this data (as well as actually looking at it in relation to tasting the coffee itself comparatively with other profiles or just on it's own). Your other point about being able to actually engage with the coffee while it's roasting is key as well and finding a way to do both is in your best interest.
ChrisSchooley

First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Schooley
City: Fort Collins
State: CO
Zip Code: 80526
Company: Coffee Shrub
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Return to “%s” Profiles & Heat Transfer