Lost Power in the middle of a roast

Share |

Postby MSBailey » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Hey..... I lost power during a 1 lb home roast....2x. Is this batch a goner? It never made it to the first crack?
MSBailey

First Name: mary
Last Name: bailey
City: rockville centre
State: ny
Zip Code: 11570
Roasting Since (Year): 2013

Postby N3Roaster » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Yes, it's probably not going to taste great but there are some proponents of a roasting style that involves partially roasting the coffee and then finishing up later. No harm in tossing it back in, giving it a taste, and using it as a learning opportunity. I'm assuming that this happened after chemical changes started happening, in which case you'll probably end up with a baked flavor.
Neal
N3Roaster

First Name: Neal
Last Name: Wilson
City: Racine
State: WI
Zip Code: 53405
Company: Wilson's Coffee & Tea
Roasting Since (Year): 2000
Twitter: N3Roaster
YouTube: N3Roaster

Postby ChrisSchooley » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Yes, just as Neal says, if the roast died during 1st Crack, then it also died while caramelization was already engaged and the result will most likely be baked flavors which can be harsh and malty and have some blown out popcorn notes to it. I still agree with Neal that you should go ahead and try to re-roast it. The thing to remember with this is that the cellular structure of the bean has now been broken down a bit, so it will react differently to the heat if you go right in with the beans at room temperature. You may want to put them in the oven for a bit at 400 degrees and bring them up to temperature before adding them back to the roaster. It's all an experiment, but it's also always a learning experience.
ChrisSchooley

First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Schooley
City: Fort Collins
State: CO
Zip Code: 80526
Company: Coffee Shrub
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Postby MSBailey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, thanks to both of you. My biggest problem here is that I cannot roast when the Christmas lights are on ;)
I lost power twice before I figured that out. But, I continued with the roast as soon as the roaster would start back up again. The second time, however, I only timed it for a 1/2 lb....why, I don't know. So... my beans never even made it first crack (I did, however). I have them... haven't tried them. But, I have them. There is virtually no aroma and they will probably taste rather grassy. Ah.....me and my roaster haven't quite figured each other out yet. Though, I do feel like I would learn a lot more and get better results on a small batch roaster, as opposed to this home roaster.
MSBailey

First Name: mary
Last Name: bailey
City: rockville centre
State: ny
Zip Code: 11570
Roasting Since (Year): 2013

Return to “%s” Profiles & Heat Transfer