Jacob Anderson

Share |

Postby Jnanderson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 am

Hello fellow Roasters Guild Members,

My Name is Jake and I live in Minneapolis. My coffee life began here at Caribou Coffee where I first became a Barista and shop manager. Since then I have been on a path of learning all I can about coffee and sharing what I have learned with others. I have been lucky enough to be able to be immersed in all things coffee for the last 7 years. In addition to working in the coffee shop I have run a production roaster (4 1/2 years), I have sample roasted and worked on a Probatino to develop new blends. I have been able to cup coffee nearly every day both for green coffee sourcing and for finished goods quality control and I have recently completed the Q Certification program.
Although I have been able to do so many different things where I work, Roasters Guild has still been able to offer a tremendous value to my development as a "Coffee Person". RG gives us all the opportunity to take what we know and bounce it of the entire coffee community. It brings us together to share our experiences and to learn from one another and then take what we've learned back to our workplaces to make things better for our teams and our customers. The Roasters Guild is truly a place of broadening horizons.

If elected to the executive council I hope to bring an open mind to let myself be challenged, an enthusiasm for developing our coffee community, an earnest desire to give back to this unique organization serving our industry.

Sincerely,

Jacob Anderson
Jnanderson

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Anderson
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Zip Code: 55429

Postby Marty G Curtis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Hello Jacob

I have a couple questions for you, answer as many as you like.

If elected how can you help or recommend to make the roaster certification program stronger so employers are willing to give time for their roaster to attend or even reimburse them?

How can you help make the roaster certification program stronger and have more meaning to your fellow guild members?

Is there any one thing that you feel we the guild can do better and how will be able to help us achieve this?
Does the company you work for have a problem with you sharing your views about roasting or cupping process?

Thanks you for running and look forward to your answers

Marty G Curtis
Marty G Curtis

First Name: marty
Last Name: curtis
City: romance
State: ar
Zip Code: 72136
Company: Combustion System Sales & Service Inc
Roasting Since (Year): 1977
Website: http://www.justquantifycoffeeacademy.com http://www.rozark.com/http:www.qgrader.com

Postby Scapistrant » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Hey Jacob, congrats on the nomination I have a couple of questions for you:

How can we encourage the use and development of the roasters guild forum? This is a powerful (and low cost tool) to help each other connect on tons of levels. What are some ideas that you have for continued development?

RG membership/retreats can be expensive for some people (even though we all know they are excellent resources in the industry!), what would you recommend the guild doing to developing and sustaining more support?

Thanks!
Scapistrant

First Name: Sean
Last Name: Capistrant
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60640
Company: Metropolis Coffee Co.
Roasting Since (Year): 2009

Postby Jnanderson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Marty G Curtis wrote:Hello Jacob

If elected how can you help or recommend to make the roaster certification program stronger so employers are willing to give time for their roaster to attend or even reimburse them?

Marty G Curtis

Marty, obviously the content of the certifications is strong and will continue to grow stronger as time passes. With opportunities limited to just two times a year to attend the requisite classes and those opportunities tied to large rather expensive events, it may be difficult for some employers or for those who are self employed to find "value" in making this commitment. I would propose that in addition to offering classes at SCAA Conference and the RG retreat, working towards a system of regional training centers similar to that of the "Q certification". The Roasters Guild has some incredibly skilled and passionate members who would be capable of facilitating many of the necessary classes right in their home regions. Potentially this could offer more opportunities and therefore build greater participation while lowering the overall cost of certification, minimizing travel and lodging expenses and building stronger regional communities.
Jnanderson

Postby Jnanderson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 am

Scapistrant wrote:How can we encourage the use and development of the roasters guild forum? This is a powerful (and low cost tool) to help each other connect on tons of levels. What are some ideas that you have for continued development?
Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the question. I needed to think about this one a little. I have to admit that I don't spend a whole lot of time on forums and blogs and other such things. But I think therein lies one very important aspect of a successful site. A forum like this needs to be easy to navigate and it needs to have interesting and relevant information. A person needs to find the quick answer they need, but also find resources for the more in depth questions they have.

I think this forum does a nice job of staying interesting and relevant, but for it to continue to be a powerful tool it takes a sense of ownership on the part all of us members. We make this site what we want it to be.

So, in the spirit of that I want to post something that I just found this morning! Something I've never seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_354ufdgffQ

Enjoy!

Jacob Anderson
Jnanderson

Return to “%s” Executive Council Elections