Mary Tellie

Share |

Postby marytellie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Everyone!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Roasters Guild for this nomination, as well as congratulate every candidate nominated. The Guild means so much to so many people and I feel it is an honor to receive this nomination. I am a huge fan of everything the guild represents from the training and certification and retreats to origin trips.

My contribution towards the council would be to provide guidance based on practical areas of the coffee industry which are extremely critical for the roasters guild members. My relationships with so many members has proven extremely valuable for my own company's success.

As a roaster/retailer we face many challenges in today's economic environment. I would like to bring our successful approach to this dynamic position to the council to help champion the efforts of all roaster/retailers. As discussed in my bio, I have worked to create farm-gate direct trade coffee practices to promote sustainability, and take away social responsibility projects with partner micro-mill and producers to help the very folks we count on to deliver amazing coffee.

My love for coffee roasting started many years ago, and with this experience and passion I feel I can promote many areas of the Roaster's Guild agenda to many members.

I look forward to the 2012 Guild agenda and would be more than happy to answer and questions you may have.
please visit me at http://www.electriccityroasting.com or mary@electriccityroasting.com

Thanks again for your to time and Thanks in advance for your vote!
Regards
Mary Tellie
marytellie

First Name: Mary
Last Name: Tellie
City: Scranton
State: PA
Zip Code: 18509
Company: Electric City Roasting Co.
Roasting Since (Year): 2007

Postby Marty G Curtis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello Mary

I have a couple questions for you, answer as many as you like.

If elected how can you help or recommend to make the roaster certification program stronger so employers are willing to give time for their roaster to attend or even reimburse them?

How can you help make the roaster certification program stronger and have more meaning to your fellow guild members?

Is there any one thing that you feel we the guild can do better and how will be able to help us achieve this?
Does the company you work for have a problem with you sharing your views about roasting or cupping process?

Thanks you for running and look forward to your answers

Marty G Curtis
Marty G Curtis

First Name: marty
Last Name: curtis
City: romance
State: ar
Zip Code: 72136
Company: Combustion System Sales & Service Inc
Roasting Since (Year): 1977
Website: http://www.justquantifycoffeeacademy.com http://www.rozark.com/http:www.qgrader.com

Postby Scapistrant » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello Mary, and congrats on the nomination, I have a couple of questions for you:

How can we encourage the use and development of the roasters guild forum? This is a powerful (and low cost tool) to help each other connect on tons of levels. What are some ideas that you have for continued development?

RG membership/retreats can be expensive for some people (even though we all know they are excellent resources in the industry!), what would you recommend the guild doing to developing and sustaining more support?

Thanks!
Scapistrant

First Name: Sean
Last Name: Capistrant
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60640
Company: Metropolis Coffee Co.
Roasting Since (Year): 2009

Postby marytellie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am

Hello Mary

I have a couple questions for you, answer as many as you like.

If elected how can you help or recommend to make the roaster certification program stronger so employers are willing to give time for their roaster to attend or even reimburse them?

How can you help make the roaster certification program stronger and have more meaning to your fellow guild members?

Is there any one thing that you feel we the guild can do better and how will be able to help us achieve this?
Does the company you work for have a problem with you sharing your views about roasting or cupping process?

Thanks you for running and look forward to your answers

Marty G Curtis

Thanks Marty for the Questions..
I just returned from Brazil and was reflecting on your questions a bit.
As a roaster and a Business owner, I find that it becomes difficult at times to balance the costs vs. benefits of any program to advance employees. The course structure is correctly formatted across 3 levels and offers various levels of application, however I am concerned about the continual offerings over a period of time. Motivating employees to take a particular class or agree to follow a track of certification can become difficult when that class or workshop is only offered once a year and only in a distant location. If elected, I would like to work on promoting regional workshops and more availability of the courses through partnering with mid size regional coffee roasters. This allows the RG to share knowledge and regional roasting practices along with creating a network of roasters for the attendee to consult if need be in the future. This partnering, I suppose would benefit the attendee and the mid size roastery and well as the RG.
I hit on some of your questions in that answer, sorry it was a bit long...
Hope this helps and thanks in advance for your support!
Mary
marytellie

Postby marytellie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:54 am

Hello Mary, and congrats on the nomination, I have a couple of questions for you:

How can we encourage the use and development of the roasters guild forum? This is a powerful (and low cost tool) to help each other connect on tons of levels. What are some ideas that you have for continued development?

RG membership/retreats can be expensive for some people (even though we all know they are excellent resources in the industry!), what would you recommend the guild doing to developing and sustaining more support?

Thanks!

Sean
Thanks for the Questions...
I agree the Roaster's Guild Members Forum is a powerful tool, and relatively cheap to run. I would consider proposals to open the forum to anyone interested in roasting coffee not just members. I would look to partnering with midsize roasters to help underwrite any expenses as well. I feel the benefits of this type of open forum out way the drawbacks, and help promote our industry and the folks who are really passionate about it.

Regarding your second question, I touched on this with my answer to Marty, I feel we need to consider regional course offerings on a consistent basis and reach out to the mid size and larger roasters that are not participating with the guild yet and invite them to help implement and support this effort.

I hope this helps...and thanks in advance for your support!
marytellie

Return to “%s” Executive Council Elections