Ryan Gonzales Johnson

Share |

Postby rojo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey Guys,
I´m Ryan Gonzales Johnson and I´m one of the many awesome nominees this year for the executive council.

I´d like to say thanks for the nomination and votes and support, hopefully doing me the honor of working for the Guild membership. I´m on travels right now in Honduras (my first origin trip, Yay!) so I´ll keep this short and lend you more of my perspectives and ideas and potential contributions later. I would like to say though that what I´ve gained from involvement with the Guild has been and keeps being ever so valuable. It´d really be wonderful to have the opportunity to give back while continuing to learn and develop this roasting craft.

Prior to being drawn into coffee and roasting I was a community organizer and the pull and passion I feel about getting people together and organized, making commitments and working towards collective goals is something that stays with me. For that reason I´d love to do just that for the Guild. Involving and facilitating membership and hopefully developing more frequent and put together regional groupings, greater sharing on the forum and FB and trying to get more direct communication going are priorities to me.

I love volunteering in the labs because I get to meet and work with so many great professionals and further us all as Roasters via the certification program. I hope to continue that with more energy and direct input as an EC member.

I think as Roasters, a great majority share similar wants and needs, and have similar desires for the direction of the industry on our end of the business. Things about how we classify our work to evolve the perception and thus compensation for what we do and how that coincides with certification and the Guild as a trade organization are important to address in order to start creating a material benefit of cerification and uplift of the craft both in public perception and for our trade. Other things like consensus on issues we may all want to debate and declare to the public and the industry (we can make statements as a guild!) are also important directions to steer towards enabling us to give voice to the membership and further cooperation as well as getting the opportunity to help steer industry dialogue.

For these reasons (and there are more) I´m putting myself out there and I´d love to know that folks in the Guild care about and value these things enough to put me on the Council. Thanks.
rojo

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Gonzales Johnson
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Zip Code: 11215
Company: Portland Roasting
Roasting Since (Year): 2007

Postby rojo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 am

I guess it'd be give to you a little background on me in addition to my thoughts on the Guild and what I can contribute.

I started in coffee in 2005 as a part time job, post having my daughter and dropping out of school to find an income. I worked as a production guy, filling orders and packaging coffee and eventually started doing delivery also. I was fortunate to be in a place that encouraged employee education about coffee and after my first cupping session I really started to become serious about all the care that goes into the coffee and thinking about my role in it. Naturally I was eyeballing the roasters in the middle of the room and with some time and ambition worked my way into the roasting department. Ever since then I've been working with all the knowledge I can possibly glean and trying to take my roasting here at Portland Roasting to the next level. I'm the Lead Roaster now and work with two other guys and our buyer and our trainer on our entire coffee program. I develop blends, decide profiles, help with purchasing and oversee maintenance and production schedules. I roast and set up cuppings, educate coworkers and generally do everything I can within my sphere of influence to make the coffee it's best. I hope at least some of that drive influenced our taking of the Roaster of the Year competition this year after being runner up a few years straight. I feel like it's a result of our progression and it pushes me to maintain that level quality and keep finding out more to guide us down the road.

I've used the Guild opportunities and the SCAA labs ever since I started roasting. They've lent the most detailed, relevant and practical knowledge to my craft. I volunteer as much as possible and if you've been in the roasting labs at Expos in the last 3 years or to any of the Retreats from Portland to West Virginia, we may have met. I really love this community and it's potential and feel like we're always up to something good. It'd be great to have the opportunity to bring some of my focus to our organization and facilitate the kind of learning and building we do when we get together. Cheers.
rojo

Postby Marty G Curtis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello Ryan

I have a couple questions for you, answer as many as you like.

If elected how can you help or recommend to make the roaster certification program stronger so employers are willing to give time for their roaster to attend or even reimburse them?

How can you help make the roaster certification program stronger and have more meaning to your fellow guild members?

Is there any one thing that you feel we the guild can do better and how will be able to help us achieve this?
Does the company you work for have a problem with you sharing your views about roasting or cupping process?

Thanks you for running and look forward to your answers

Marty G Curtis
Marty G Curtis

First Name: marty
Last Name: curtis
City: romance
State: ar
Zip Code: 72136
Company: Combustion System Sales & Service Inc
Roasting Since (Year): 1977
Website: http://www.justquantifycoffeeacademy.com http://www.rozark.com/http:www.qgrader.com

Postby rojo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for the questions Marty.

Marty G Curtis wrote:f elected how can you help or recommend to make the roaster certification program stronger so employers are willing to give time for their roaster to attend or even reimburse them?

I think it probably gets down to the basics on this. Far as I can tell, employers tend towards full support and feeling it is important education and important to be involved, or no support for it all, thinking their internal education and way of doing things is value enough. And I guess there are some who say it's great to go learn this stuff, but on your own dime.

I would look at what is done to ask any company be involved or invest in it's employee's education and involvement through the SCAA and start building from there. Perhaps it isn't a stretch to extend things already being done to get support of member companies by taking that torch and adding the insight of how the certification program is creating the next generation of skilled Roaster experts and craftsmen. It's not really my favorite word, but "marketing" the certification's actual credentials and skills set is pretty important so that there's a general understanding of what it means throughout the industry. Certified may not mean any more than "trained" or "experienced" to many. To strengthen the program, it needs to touch a certain kind of value outside of just us Roasters who already know and value the program.

This is a good point to distinguish by the way, because there are folks out there who want and need these resources but don't necessarily know how to turn on their bosses to it or otherwise drum up the support to get started.
In that respect, part of growing the Guild membership and strengthening the program really should think of ways to entice employers to want to educate their Roasters. Whether in some sort of mailing or other campaigning, proving the value of even the process of certification should be pretty alluring. The network of individuals you can call on as a resource, the knowledge and insight gained through the processes of the labs, and the resultant proficiency with troubleshooting problems and understanding the equipment, the coffee and the roasting processes adds value to a company, builds it's reputation and ensures current knowledge of science, trends and best practices that they need to stay on top of their game. It makes an a Roaster more of an asset. And by that respect, investing in (paying for it) their Roaster's participation, they are doing a few things: enriching/rewarding employee service, advancing company knowledge and resources, developing expertise in the forefront of the industry in regards to Roasting.

Marty G Curtis wrote:How can you help make the roaster certification program stronger and have more meaning to your fellow guild members?

I think right now it's very much about access. I'd like to try to start getting something together in terms of regional Roaster gatherings that are officially affiliated with the Guild. Once these things can become organized and hopefully institutionalized and held at least twice a year in the gaps between Expo and Retreat, then we have a platform from which to bring the classes to the masses if you will... That's pretty big talk, but it is a healthy goal to work towards and I think no matter, officiating regular regional gatherings will be a boon for growth all around.

Marty G Curtis wrote:Is there any one thing that you feel we the guild can do better and how will be able to help us achieve this?

I think the Guild has been getting better and better every year in my eyes. The certification program is established. The classes are tighter. The last Retreat line-up of courses was pretty amazing. I just want to help keep this direction going and add ideas to the table that can bring plans to fruition. In addition to being a Roaster and in love with it, I've done a lot of time organizing people and events from door to door to on the phone to on the streets to in the working groups and in front of computers. I feel a big help is talking directly to people more often and get working relationships going across distance so the Council doesn't exactly "do" everything, rather works with membership to get things done more effectively. Organizing Committees is the term that comes to mind.

Marty G Curtis wrote:Does the company you work for have a problem with you sharing your views about roasting or cupping process?

As far as I can tell, No. I seem to have done it enough on the forum and in person with folks. I think my company likes that I share because they know I always bring something back with me that inspires or motivates me to improve our operations that much more.
rojo

Postby Marty G Curtis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Ryan
Thanks for the reply and good luck.
Marty
Marty G Curtis

First Name: marty
Last Name: curtis
City: romance
State: ar
Zip Code: 72136
Company: Combustion System Sales & Service Inc
Roasting Since (Year): 1977
Website: http://www.justquantifycoffeeacademy.com http://www.rozark.com/http:www.qgrader.com

Postby Scapistrant » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Hey Ryan,
Congrats on the nomination. I have a couple questions for you.

How do you feel about the Roasters guild establishing local meet-ups? The roasters guild retreat is a very valuable resource for all of us, however, sometimes financial reasons prohibit smaller companies from attending, or at the very least discourages them.

How can we encourage the use and development of the roasters guild forum? This is a powerful (and low cost tool) to help each other connect on tons of levels. Even I don't use the forum as much as I should. What are some ideas that you have?

Thanks man!
Scapistrant

First Name: Sean
Last Name: Capistrant
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60640
Company: Metropolis Coffee Co.
Roasting Since (Year): 2009

Postby rojo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks Sean,

I dig it. I think that is definitely part and parcel of the idea of talking about how to get some form of regional organization together that can channel the Guild activities out into different areas of the country and start giving more access to folks, growing the organization as a whole.

There are/have been regional Roaster gatherings for some time in different areas, and hopefully these folks can be called upon to get something like this going. The Northwest has had quite a few good gatherings and I know the NOrtheast and Southeast areas have done their thing too. My personal thought is maybe we can delineate the areas in the US at least in a similar way the barista comp. regions are set up and get some inspired and willing members in each region to start putting the puzzle together.

It's a big deal, but not so much if more people are involved and hold to those commitments to get it done. Get some sponsorship, some spaces, a certified lab and roastery, folks who've done the IDP and viola, we have ingredients for a regional SBW... I can't imagine it's something that will happen overnight, but it's the kind of thing I'd like to engage in for the good of us all moving forward.

Likewise, as we check the forum, maybe we can include regional dialogue and regional listserves to get more people alert about what's going on right in their area. Again, we need to recruit that coalition of the willing in each area to facilitate the usage and keep it hot so folks will catch onto it. Hopefully, the Guild EC and SCAA can share some insights into how to get these things going so as not to re-invent the wheel and make sure there isn't total redundancy in content as well...

One of the things I have to say, is that I'm stoked to bring ideas to the table, but until I'm at the table I won't quite know the scope of what can be done short term and long term. Nonetheless, it's not too hard to listen to what folks need and start strategizing about how to move forward to make it happen and that's what I'm looking to be a part of and, hopefully bring something productive to fruition...
rojo

Postby rojo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 am

Hey,

I was thinking more about this forum and it's purpose and what it lends to the overall community and how to take what we got and improve it, keep it fresh, make it interesting, etc... I came up with a few observations and thought I'd share them. They may be interesting directions to take in the future, with the work of the EC.

1. Online forums are useful and open. They are somewhat dated these days, but for our purposes within a trade full of people that want to share technical issues and work together on issues and problems, they are indispensable. This, is a great thing to have and is an excellent focus of our efforts. However, a forum page isn't really that dynamic and the threads become old and tedious to sort. I think it's important to understand the limitations of an online forum and also understand that a forum alone doesn't quite serve all the purposes we need it to and think about growing the Guild's web page in congruence with the value upon the forum.

2. I think Roasters kind of need their own sprudge.com... To be honest, that sight is pretty great, but doesn't serve Roasters the same way it does the barista community and it probably doesn't want or need to. Part of our approach going forward should be to look at our web presence and find how we can meet the social as well as organizational needs of the Roasting community. The Guild might think about having a blog with submissions from the EC and/or vetted by the EC from membership to put up front so content is fresh and regular everytime you hit the sight. Likewise we might turn that into a sort of online publication for our commmunity that can profile membership better and share stories outside of our traditional venues. Maybe Roast can help with that, maybe I can haggle these sprudge kids to help out...either way, we need more frequent visual interaction as a community and that's one large benefit of the web we aren't exploiting to full potential. This would shrink the forum into a strictly "technical discussion, class discussion, official announcements and classifieds sort of arena and leave the rest to a fresher format that is still archived and easy to access. (this isn't a ringing endorsement of all of sprudge's content or approach, more the level of engagement and overall format of the sight.)

3. In regards to that, I'd love to see photos and video, which the forum can do, but isn't quite as alluring as other formats... But we should have pics of our sexy machines and updates about who's working where and where they travelled and what's up with whom... Photo galleries, blog, forum, regular features, all good things... so I think that's my 2 cents on growing the forum which in turn will grow the membership involvment which in turn will add value to the guild and in turn grow the organization and the programs we offer...

Oh, and I love Emilio's perspectives on the web content and stuff in general. I tend to not be as focused on the fact that we offer quite a bit internationally and his input is really insightful and I just want to jump behind a lot of those ideas... Did I just endorse him? I guess so!
rojo

Return to “%s” Executive Council Elections