sneaking this under better brew practices

Share |

Postby ChrisSchooley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:27 pm

So with me totally taking the bait once again, the annual "seasonality" article has been published and I've unleashed a vicious rant (viscous rant, that would be grosser). But it all has me thinking once again about teaching consumers about better coffee. Instead of foisting inadequate terminology upon our coffees and trying to get consumers to appreciate freshness, maybe we should be doing the complete opposite! We should be teaching consumers how to identify stale and aged coffee instead of telling them that should know what "season" it is. This would be much more powerful. If I get even the slightest bit of age or staleness in a coffee it is very difficult to ignore. If we can get consumers to that level and show them what they definitely don't want to taste in a coffee, it could prove to be much more effective in getting them to buy better coffee or at least not accept bad coffee as the norm.
ChrisSchooley

First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Schooley
City: Fort Collins
State: CO
Zip Code: 80526
Company: Coffee Shrub
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Postby cultiva » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 am

" We should be teaching consumers how to identify stale and aged coffee instead of telling them that should know what "season" it is"

These are the best cuppings! Did I ever show you the 20+ year old roasted Kona coffee I use for cuppings? now that's stale. sadly, some people who were new to cupping liked it. I also have a Vietnamese coffee that was purchased two years ago, and I'm convinced it's fortified with some weird ground chocolate stuff, and although most thought this was dirt, again, a few people liked it. what if consumers are so used to baggy coffee that they become to enjoy it? Wouldn't that solve some problems?

Kinda joking.. but those cuppings did happen, and I think it's essential to teach consumers about defects. It's fun too.
cultiva

First Name: jon
Last Name: ferguson
City: lincoln
State: ne
Zip Code: 68508
Roasting Since (Year): 2006

Return to “%s” Grind / Brew Methods