Bunn Trifecta

Share |

Postby dscherer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 pm

has anyone had a chance to see or operate the new bunn trifecta? I think the official unveiling will be at conference, but there is one here in nyc...just haven't had a chance to check it out.

It was rumored to be the new clover, but it looks more like an electrical aeropress with a portafilter at the bottom.

i don't get it.
dscherer

First Name: Darleen
Last Name: Scherer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Zip Code: 11201
Company: Gorilla Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2002

Postby timd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I've come across some blogs that talk about the Trifecta and a youtube video that demos the equipment. I'm curious to know if the tube is glass or plastic. I'm hoping it is glass.

24 grams for a 12 ounce coffee and it is not a speedy brew time by any stretch.

Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7OBk8Dens
Tim Dominick
timd

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Dominick
City: Moonstone Beach
State: CA
Zip Code: 95570
Company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2000

Postby chris7wade » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:49 pm

It is pretty cool. I got to try an early model of it and thought it was pretty cool. There are ways to control the extraction and brew profile. The brewed coffee seemed really nice as well. I would really like to work with this brewer some more. We just got a one day demo on how it works.
chris7wade

First Name: Christian
Last Name: Wade
City: Portland
State: OR
Zip Code: 97213
Company: Coffee bean International
Roasting Since (Year): 1999

Postby timd » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am

I understand it will be about 1/4th the price of a Clover, which likely makes it a more attractive item for some lower volume shops.

It does bring up a good question: A single cup preparation has been gaining momentum over the past few years. Is there a sustainable value to investing in higher priced brewing tech when the very basic, low-tech can be had for $25 or less? (ceramic cone, retail price)
Tim Dominick
timd

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Dominick
City: Moonstone Beach
State: CA
Zip Code: 95570
Company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
Roasting Since (Year): 2000

Postby Marty G Curtis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Man I hope they demo one or two of them at the show. Than I can try it without buying as I'm a French Press Man I have one with me all the time, always a great cup ? :twisted:

But now for a lab toy maybe???? :idea:
Marty G Curtis

First Name: marty
Last Name: curtis
City: romance
State: ar
Zip Code: 72136
Company: Combustion System Sales & Service Inc
Roasting Since (Year): 1977
Website: http://www.justquantifycoffeeacademy.com http://www.rozark.com/http:www.qgrader.com

Postby PBeattie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 pm

So after checking it out at the show, what are everyone's thoughts?

My thoughts...I was definitely disappointed in the plastic brew chamber, but I am hoping that with the overwhelming negative response to the brew chamber Bunn will come out with an alternative quickly. I liked the controllability of the brew parameters but am a little concerned about temperature with all that air blowing through the brew.

It is always difficult to access a new piece of equipment without using coffees that I am familiar with, but that being said, they seemed to be able to make a good cup of coffee. The real question is, is it capable of making a GREAT cup of coffee. I will be getting one in my lab soon and will post a full review when I do.
PBeattie

First Name: Phil
Last Name: Beattie
City: Sumner
State: Washington
Zip Code: 98390
Company: Dillanos Coffee Roaster
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Postby rojo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:49 am

Has anyone dialed a trifecta in yet that can give me something to go on? I've been just tooling around with it when not roasting and haven't found a general sweet spot for it yet... I'd appreciate any wisdom for grind, turbulence power and frequency and brew time....
rojo

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Gonzales Johnson
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Zip Code: 11215
Company: Portland Roasting
Roasting Since (Year): 2007

Postby jjcoolel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:38 pm

hey all. we got a bunn trifecta at Coffee Roasters of New Orleans a few weeks ago. i have had a couple of chances to play with it and i am starting to get a decent cup of coffee. so far i've only used medium roast single origins, but i plan to move to blends and darker roasts soon.
for an 8 ounce serving, i use 15 grams of beans.
i am using our kitchen grinder, which is an older model Mahlkonig. i use the # 3 setting, which the grinder notes is for a melitta type brewer. a courser grind makes a really thin cup. i might even play with a finer grind.
now the fun/confusing part is all of the other settings. i use:
pre wet 1 sec
pre infuse 15%
dwell time (i forget if they call it extraction or infusion) 90 seconds
turbulence on 5 sec
off 10 sec
power +6
press out power +5
press out time 30 sec
water temp 200 deg.
customers love to watch it brew. shucks, so do i. we joked about adding colored lights.
i also really love that the finished coffee temperature is perfect fo me--i don't have to let it cool, i just start sipping.
i do find that the coffee doesn't stay completely in suspension- it starts to settle. if you sit your cup down for a minute, you have to stir it up.
hope this helps, and if you have a better recipe, please tell me. thanks, elden
all we are is, like, dust in the wind, dude.
jjcoolel

First Name: elden
Last Name: spear
City: new orleans
State: la
Zip Code: 70123
Company: coffee roasters of new orleans
Roasting Since (Year): 2006

Postby jjcoolel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm

i had a few minutes today so i brewed 2 cups: the first i set the grinder to 2 and 1/2, the second was set at 3. both cups had 15 grams of guatemala antigua. the first cup tasted over extracted and the second was much better, so i'm pretty sure i found the right grind.
don't get me wrong, it brews a good cup. but our drip brewer makes a good cup, too. if i have to grind, brew, and then rinse out the brewer for the next cup, i want to take a sip and have to sit down because i'm hearing ladies singing opera.
next i want to try varying the amount of coffee. i'll post again with my results.
elden
jjcoolel

Postby jjcoolel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:22 pm

played with a couple of cups today varying amount of coffee. 14 grams and 15 grams both great, 13 grams too thin while 16 grams over extracted.
more results next week.
jjcoolel

Return to “%s” Grind / Brew Methods