QUESTION: does anyone have experience flavoring coffee?

Share |

Postby mgt@coffeemill.biz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm new to the Roasters Guild so forgive me if this is not a good place for this question.

I would like to introduce flavors to my roasted coffee.
mgt@coffeemill.biz

First Name: Kelly
Last Name: Smith
City: Largo
State: FL
Zip Code: 33774
Company: Coffee Mill
Roasting Since (Year): 2015

Postby N3Roaster » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm

It's not difficult. Flavorings intended for coffee spread easily so if you're doing it on a small scale you could just put your base roasted coffee(s) in a 5 pound bag, add your flavoring(s), seal the bag, and shake it for a few minutes. At larger scales there are machines that can spin a barrel to mix the flavoring in. You can do it at smaller scales but at that point it's enough of a hassle that it might make more sense to look at some of the DIY products that exist now for customers to make their own. It's been a long time since I've looked at this so I don't have any current recommendations for flavoring or equipment vendors, but they're not hard to find.

The key thing to watch out for is contamination. Flavors stick to everything and a lot of people who aren't trying to get a flavored coffee will be repulsed by even a slight contamination. If you grind, you'll need separate grinders. If you brew, you'll need separate baskets and pots. Separate packing lines. Possibly more cleaning everywhere depending on your current practices. Also be aware that people will make mistakes resulting in contamination so expect to lose some of your non-flavored coffees to things like someone accidentally running it through the flavored grinder and having your regular grinder unavailable while someone takes it apart for decontamination after someone runs flavored coffee through it.

Given the hassle and extra expenses involved, I'd recommend just not going there without making certain that the business case is too compelling to ignore. These days I think most are better off not having that product line. The perception of flavored coffee is not what it once was.
Neal
N3Roaster

First Name: Neal
Last Name: Wilson
City: Racine
State: WI
Zip Code: 53405
Company: Wilson's Coffee & Tea
Roasting Since (Year): 2000
Twitter: N3Roaster
YouTube: N3Roaster

Postby mgt@coffeemill.biz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 am

Thank you very much. I agree with that many precautions are needed and I'm working to set up for them. You are right also in that you cannot prevent human mistakes.

If you remember the name of a company, I'd sure appreciate a reply.
mgt@coffeemill.biz

First Name: Kelly
Last Name: Smith
City: Largo
State: FL
Zip Code: 33774
Company: Coffee Mill
Roasting Since (Year): 2015

Return to “%s” Equipment / Materials