Member Spotlight: Ken Hellweg

Share |

Postby lilyk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Name: Ken Hellweg
Job Title: Roasting lead
Company Name: Coffee Bean International
Company Location: Portland, OR

How long have you been a Roasters Guild member? What was your reason for joining and/or what keeps you involved?

I have been a member for about 5 years. I joined to attend the roaster retreats and scaa events.
What do you love about roasting coffee? What is the most fulfilling aspect about your job and why?
I love roasting good quality coffee and continue to learn so that i can produce a superior coffee that can make someone change their mind about lesser quality coffees. Most people don't know what good coffee is.

What is your preferred method of brewing coffee and why?

I tend to use a Technivorm MoccaMaster drip machine because of ease of use, but I prefer full-immersion methods like the Clever or a French press. Chemex or pour overs are also high on my list.

What do you think needs to happen within our industry for specialty coffee to evolve in a positive way?

I believe the industry is evolving every year with better and better green coffee available and people stepping up spending the higher price for these coffees.

If you could impart one insight to a fledgling coffee roaster, what would you share with them?

Take your time and learn all you can about the process. Master cupping and taste how the different processes/profiles affect the taste.

If you could have a cup of coffee with any person in the coffee industry, who would it be and what would you ask them?

The grower who makes the effort to grow and process the best coffee in the world. I would ask him what motivated him to take those extra steps to make it the best. I would hope he says it's for the coffee!
lilyk

First Name: Lily
Last Name: Kubota
City: Long Beach
State: CA
Zip Code: 90802
Company: SCAA

Return to “%s” What's New?