Extra bits of coffee

Share |

Postby christian » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 am

Hello,
My question is in regard to the extra bits of coffee one is left with after a roast. We are still a small operation and can't quite figure the proper way to use them. We owned a coffee shop previously and would just sell them there and certainly don't drink enough coffee to use it for internal consumption. The real problem arises when subtracting , or forgetting to, the remaining coffee to zero out the numbers and keep our logs in good order. Do we seal it and add to a future roast? Do we factor it as waste? Or use it as samples? Or something else we've yet to think of?

Thanks
christian

First Name: Christian
Last Name: Ganem
City: North Conway
State: NH
Zip Code: 03860
Company: The Met Coffee Roasters
Roasting Since (Year): 2010

Postby ChrisSchooley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:48 am

samples, public tastings, use for brew. There are a number of options, but really what you should do is adjust your batch sizes to better match your usage and what you need. If you log your moisture loss for each batch, you can easily adjust your batch sizes to get a closer approximation to what you need. You'll always have a bit, but it should be useable for some peripheral purposes and should/could be less than a pound. One more reason why moisture loss is one of the most important measurements to take in roasting!
ChrisSchooley

First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Schooley
City: Fort Collins
State: CO
Zip Code: 80526
Company: Coffee Shrub
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Postby christian » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks Chris!! Appreciate the input!
christian

Last Name: Ganem
City: North Conway
State: NH
Zip Code: 03860
Company: The Met Coffee Roasters

Postby Stephanie Ratanas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:01 pm

We always cup that last little bit that's left (we make sure there's a little bit left) and then keep it around for general brewing. If we don't end up brewing it, we blend it all together in to what we call the suicide blend! (You know, a "suicide" is when you go to the soda fountain thing and put a little bit of everything in your cup, deeeelicious) then we seal it up and donate it or someone takes it home for their grandma.

We try to keep track of the exact percentage of shrink for each different coffee, and make note if we change a profile etc. so that we can better gauge our numbers from the beginning.

Don't try and steal that suicide thing from me and market it now.... :evil:
Stephanie Ratanas

First Name: Stephanie
Last Name: Ratanas
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Zip Code: 55418
Company: Dogwood Coffee Company

Postby chris7wade » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:50 pm

I agree with Chris, adjust your batch sizes for the amount of moisture loss. That will keep your waste down.

I can also say samples are always a good way to drum up business. Another good idea is to save it up and donate it to a charitable organization for them to brew or give out. You can write it off and it can make you feel good that someone is getting a nice coffee and it did not go to waste.

Chris W.
chris7wade

Last Name: Wade
City: Portland
State: OR
Zip Code: 97213
Company: Coffee bean International
Roasting Since (Year): 1999

Postby wyokats » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

i grind mine and donate it to the local food pantry and to the homeless shelter. The love it because it is about the only "comfort food" they get.
wyokats

First Name: James
Last Name: Smith
City: Sheridan
State: WY
Zip Code: 82801
Company: roast!
Roasting Since (Year): 2004

Return to “%s” What's New?