Diacetyl and air quality

Share |

Postby elijah.lederman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:39 am

I imagine many folks here have been following this story as it develops.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/flavori ... ssing.html

Do you think that given the currently available information around exposure levels and the new Niosh recommendation that it is time for roasteries to begin to measure air quality and upgrade ventilation systems if necessary?

Is anyone aware of a standard for air exchange or filtration that has been successful in reducing diacetyl and pentanedione exposure to acceptable levels?
elijah.lederman

First Name: Elijah
Last Name: Lederman
City: Guelph
State: Ontario
Zip Code: N1E6R5
Company: Planet Bean Inc.
Roasting Since (Year): 2005

Postby stevel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am

I have not seen anything on air exchange issues but I have seen one roaster who had their flavoring bowl (candy coating bowl, like a cement mixer) fitted with a swing away plexiglass cover that had a vent tube attached to it. This tube was piped into the afterburner. Now, while that me seem a bit extreme, it did significantly reduce the flavor odors and potential contamination in the work space.

One of the things about flavored coffee is that it's the aroma that sells the product as much as anything and if, during the flavoring process, something is done to remove too much of the volatile aromas then the finished product could be somewhat muted. Seems like a catch=22 from a product standpoint. Nothing should get in the way of worker safety but perhaps the flavor suppliers have some suggestions.
stevel

First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leach
City: San Ramon
State: CA
Zip Code: 94583
Roasting Since (Year): 1978
Twitter: steve_cfy

Return to “%s” What's New?