CUPPING KITS

Share |

Postby coffeejoes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am

I want to increase my ability in cupping. I have the opportunity to purchase either the "Le Nez du Cafe" or the "SCAA Flavor Dynamics Training Kit". Unfortunately I can not afford both kits. My question is which kit should be the first purchase for a novice cupper?
coffeejoes

First Name: Timothy
Last Name: Pellizzer
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Zip Code: 55364
Company: Sebastian Joe's
Roasting Since (Year): 2007

Postby chris7wade » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:29 pm

One is for aroma and the other is for flavor. What is more important to you. Personally I would suggest the aroma kit. I have been using that in training for years and it is really helpful. Aromatics in coffee are an amazing thing and it really helps you communicate to your customers on that level.

As for the taste kit they are cool too. I use one of those from the SCAA store as well. If you are on a budget I would suggest to fist get the aroma kit and as a supplement go to a brewing or wine making store and pick up some acids, they have tataric , malic, and Citric acids that you can put into water to taste different acid types. They are pretty cheap and give a good idea of what fruit types are similar to different types of acidity. You can also buy fruit, nuts, chocolate, and dried fruits and compare to coffee. That is really fun and easy to do.

https://www.fhsteinbart.com/products/index.php I added a link to show what the local brewing supply store in my area has. Look under food grade acids. Most brewing supply stores should be able to get similar items.

Sensory analysis is fun and takes a lot of time and practice.
chris7wade

First Name: Christian
Last Name: Wade
City: Portland
State: OR
Zip Code: 97213
Company: Coffee bean International
Roasting Since (Year): 1999

Postby coffeejoes » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Thanks for the information. I hope to purchase a kit prior to the retreat. Hope to meet you there. Thanks.
Tim
coffeejoes

First Name: Timothy
Last Name: Pellizzer
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Zip Code: 55364
Company: Sebastian Joe's
Roasting Since (Year): 2007

Return to “%s” Cupping