New Crop Centrals

Share |

Postby ChrisSchooley » Mon May 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey folks, as new crop coffees from Central America are coming in, what are people seeing? This is relevant question in relation to coffee prices being what they are, also with reports of strong crops coming out of some places. I've seen some very nice coffees from CR and Guat already, and El Salv is very promising from what I've seen but also from what people were saying at the COE last week.
ChrisSchooley

First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Schooley
City: Fort Collins
State: CO
Zip Code: 80526
Company: Coffee Shrub
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Postby ChrisSchooley » Tue May 10, 2011 8:05 am

Let me clarify this a bit; in reading the number of articles and various other pieces about rising coffee prices, one of the common comments made was that there wasn't as much incentive for producers to work on quality. I have some really mixed feelings about this statement, and I'm curious to see if this is manifesting itself in any way.
ChrisSchooley

First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Schooley
City: Fort Collins
State: CO
Zip Code: 80526
Company: Coffee Shrub
Roasting Since (Year): 2001

Postby Scapistrant » Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 am

Its funny you mentioned incentives for the farmers. We are buying coffee from an importer that uses a unique business model (which i can only assume is for the farmer). We have a fixed price on the contract, however, if the coffee averages, lets say 86 or higher (on the SCAA cupping form), the price jumps $0.40 a lbs. I know, sounds outrageous. This does require a boatload of honesty and transparency. But to be honest, its really a solid start. I'll do a follow up post as soon as it goes into production.
Scapistrant

First Name: Sean
Last Name: Capistrant
City: Chicago
State: IL
Zip Code: 60640
Company: Metropolis Coffee Co.
Roasting Since (Year): 2009

Return to “%s” Cupping