Working on Indonesia!

Share |

Postby Rocky Rhodes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:26 pm

First of all, I want to say I am proud to be the first post on the site!!!! It looks great Lili! You and your team have really come through!

I am currently in Indonesia and I met today with the new Executive Director of SCAI. I gave her the RG proposal for origin trips. She then pointed out her priority tasks and getting origin trips done was in the top five!

We discussed at length the possibilities of in country partner funding sources. We may have come up with three or four good possibilities, but here is where I will need help from RG members:

Assume Airfare is about $1,500 and that is on you. How much more are you willing to contribute to in country costs? How long are you willing / able to be out of the office? I would suggest the following parameters but want to get your thoughts: 12 days (two consumed by travel) and an extra $500 or about $50 per day.

Expenses for a trip like this in Indonesia are quite high simply because regions are not close to each other and you have to fly around. That takes both time and money. I would anticipate the actual costs per attendee to be about $1500 so we will be looking for the In Country Partners to create the difference.

I am going to take the information and work with SCAI to build a trip for no more than 10 people. If you have a STRONG interest please let me know ASAP.

Rocky
Rocky Rhodes

First Name: Rocky
Last Name: Rhodes
City: Woodland Hills
State: CA
Zip Code: 91364
Company: International Coffee Consulting Group
Roasting Since (Year): 1996

Postby Andrew Hetzel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm

What time of year are you thinking?
Andrew Hetzel
Cafemakers, LLC
Andrew Hetzel

First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Hetzel
City: Kamuela
State: HI
Zip Code: 96743
Company: Cafemakers, LLC

Postby coffeepal » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Rocky great job! I will try my best to go. Can't Wait!
coffeepal

First Name: Carl
Last Name: Rand
City: durango
State: co
Zip Code: 81301
Company: Durango Coffee Company
Roasting Since (Year): 1984
Website: http://www.Durangocoffee.com http://www.TDcoffee.com

Postby Rocky Rhodes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Still in Indonesia... This is a big country with multiple harvests. Depending on a good time of year for the trip, we can find the harvests which are active. Here in North Sumatra around Lake Toba there are trees that are both flowering AND ripe.

I found the source of 'kuku kambing' or the 'goats foot', split bean defect. The wet hulling process seems to be necessary for the way they do business here, but OH MY GAWD do they need to learn how to use the machine better. These are the things you see at origin.

Look for a more detailed trip report under Q Classes on this site. (Give me a couple of days!)
Rocky Rhodes

First Name: Rocky
Last Name: Rhodes
City: Woodland Hills
State: CA
Zip Code: 91364
Company: International Coffee Consulting Group
Roasting Since (Year): 1996

Return to “%s” Origin Trips